I added raisins to the vegetables and it really gave the recipe a little extra flavor!
- For added flavor and texture, add ½ cup raisins or diced apples with the vegetables.
- Try using brown rice instead of white rice. Increase the water to 3 cups and the simmering time to 45 minutes.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees F in an electric skillet).
- Add onion, ginger, turmeric and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.