Indian Vegetable and Rice Skillet Meal
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees F in an electric skillet).
- Add onion, ginger, turmeric, and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For a flavor boost, cook ½ cup raisins or diced apples with the vegetables.
- Try using brown rice instead of white, and increase the simmering time to 45 minutes.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.