½ cup finely chopped celery
¼ cup minced onion (any type)
1 1/2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
½ teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup chopped cooked chicken
2/3 cup mandarin orange segments (canned, drained and rinsed, or fresh)
2 medium (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
4 medium lettuce leaves, salad greens or microgreens
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In medium bowl, mix celery, onion, mayonnaise, soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper.
- Gently mix in chicken and orange segments.
- Lay tortilla on clean cutting board or large plate.
- Place 2 lettuce leaves on each tortilla, trimming or moving leaves to keep them inside the tortilla.
- Place 1/2 the chicken mixture in the middle of the lettuce.
- Roll tortillas into a wrap and cut in half. Repeat with other tortilla, lettuce and rest of chicken mixture.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No oranges? Use halved grapes or diced apples.
- Instead of chicken, try using 1 cup cooked/drained garbanzo beans, or 1 cup of small tofu cubes.
I thought the garlic/soy/mayo spread would be too *strong* for a classroom of kids, but they all liked it! (Well, most of them did!). We used the green, spinach tortillas for a St Patrick's Day treat. Very festive and healthy too.
I made this recipe for my 3rd graders, and subbed garbanzo beans for the chicken. I thought it would be too strong of a flavor for kids, but they liked it. One problem with the beans is that they rolled out too much, so I'd suggest using larger tortillas and possibly mashing the beans a bit, but the recipe was great. I've made it at home a few times, and my family enjoys it.
Substituted orange pieces for mandarins and spinach for lettuce. Made 2 full size wraps. Tasty!
This is one of my family's favorites recipes! It's so tasty and versatile - we love it with chicken and garbanzo beans. We often use spinach instead of lettuce. Recently, we did not have tortillas and so made it as a salad - it was great!
We made these over Thanksgiving weekend with leftover turkey - tasty and so easy!