2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 chicken breasts, boned, skinned, and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 slices fresh ginger, peeled and minced or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can (8 ounce) pineapple chunks, drained (save juice)
½ cup chicken broth or water (see Notes)
2 Tablespoons vinegar
4 cups sliced vegetables, such as celery, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms
½ cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 medium tomato, cut in wedges
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet).
- Add chicken, ginger and garlic, and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add pineapple juice, chicken broth and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced vegetables. Cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Mix orange juice, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Stir until smooth. Add to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add tomato wedges and pineapple chunks.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be made at home or purchased in a can or box or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Serve with brown rice for more whole grains.
We've edited this recipe to have less sauce but still keep the flavor. Enjoy!