I added the suggested 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and also 1/4 teaspoon of dried Oregano to my soup, and served it with whole grain toast. Yum!
- Make broth by adding 1 teaspoon or cube of bouillon for each cup of water.
- Ham: Use a ham bone or ham hock with the broth or water. Add 1 cup of chopped ham and a dash of ground cloves to the soup.
- Curry: Add 1 Tablespoon curry powder and ½ teaspoon each garlic powder, cumin, and turmeric. Taste and adjust seasonings as you like.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan, sauté carrot, onion and celery in oil until just beginning to brown.
- Add split peas and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover pan and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until peas are as soft as you like, 45 to 60 minutes or longer.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers within 2 hours.