1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine both flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and brown sugar. Be sure sugar has no lumps.
- Add liquids to flour mixture. Stir together until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and smooth into corners.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Top should look golden brown.
- Cool slightly and remove from pan. Slice with a serrated knife.
- Wrap leftovers and store at room temperature.
- No buttermilk? Add enough milk to 2 Tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar to make 2 cups. Stir well and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup raisins and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon for a tasty breakfast bread.
- You can make this bread in a 8½x4½-inch bread pan. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
We made this bread in our adult class to go with the Ham and Vegetable Chowder -- didn't have an 8X8 square pan, so used an 8 inch round cake pan. Worked fine, no problems. Has anyone baked this using a traditional bread pan? If so, how were the results?
We didn't really like the bread when made with the buttermilk. We replaced the buttermilk with applesauce and prefer the flavor and texture after the switch. This is a very quick and easy recipe.
Update: baked this bread in a traditional bread pan (a large loaf pan) and it was great -- needed to cook it for 50 minutes though.
Great recipe, and thank you AliDalt and Killer Tomato for your comments! I would have subbed almond milk and lemon juice for the buttermilk but I was out. I only had one cup of applesauce left so I used that plus water -- I needed about 1.5 cups of water for the batter to mix easily and pour. I also only had whole wheat flour and white sugar, so I used those. Baked in a tradional loaf pan for about 55 minutes and it is delicious and moist! Quite sweet; I might use less sugar next time. Thank you!!