This recipe was a lasting favorite with middle school students. One 8th grader said, "That was the best mushroom dish ever!" We were learning about herbs and I added a 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme to this recipe - thyme and lemon are great flavor boosters for mushrooms!!
- Try adding other seasonings such as thyme or oregano.
- No fresh spinach? Use frozen chopped spinach or other greens such as kale or chard.
- Wash hands with soap and water
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions in oil until they are softened.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown, stirring often. Stir in bulgur and continue to stir until browned.
- Add broth, garlic powder and pepper. Cover pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until bulgur is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Mix in the spinach and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.