The flavor is a little mild so I added some nutmeg and thyme to zest it up a little :) The sour cream really made the soup extra creamy. Tasty!
Sweet Potato Pumpkin Soup
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger, curry, cumin, nutmeg, and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sweet potato, broth, water and pumpkin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft. Stir every minute.
- Stir in the milk until heated through (don’t boil).
- Ladle into bowls and top with 1/2 tablespoon low-fat sour cream.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
I made this soup for a food demo at a local farmer's market, and I had people crowding around the table clamouring for the soup! One change I will make for next time, if I am doing this for a crowd, is to use coconut milk instead of the regular cow's milk -- then it would be vegan too! (with the sour cream on the side, of course).
It would still meet our nutrition criteria if you used lite coconut milk but the amount of calcium is reduced by half compared to dairy milk. Regular coconut milk has more fat and the fat is saturated.
the Food Hero Team
This is a delicious soup. It is good put through the blender or food processor as a last step. I do think there is a typo in the recipe. Under the garlic in the ingredient list, it might mean to say a "1/2 tsp" of minced garlic, rather than "1/2 clove garlic" (right after it already called for 2 cloves of garlic).
Thank you for letting us know! We've fixed it.
The Food Hero Team
This soup was nice way to liven things up with different flavors and ingredients than we normally have in our soups at home. I didn't have any curry powder on hand so I made my own using a recipe for mild curry powder from allrecipes.com. Plain Greek yogurt was a good substitute for the sour cream.