Butternut Squash and Chile Pan-Fry
- Peel squash, cut in half and remove seeds. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet). Add onions and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes. Add the squash, salt and chili powder.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in chilies and cook about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Prepare fresh chilies by roasting 1 pound fresh green poblano chilies (about 4 whole peppers) either by placing them over a stovetop gas flame or by roasting under an oven broiler. Turn them frequently until all sides are charred black, about 7-10 minutes. Allow peppers to cool, about 15 minutes. Remove the stems and seeds and chop.
Like more spicy flavor? Use more or hotter chilies.
- Use as a filling for tacos, burritos or wraps!