Butternut Squash and Chile Pan-Fry
1 poundfresh green poblano chilies (about 4 whole peppers), or 1 cup canned poblanos chopped
1 1⁄2 tablespoonsolive or vegetable oil
1⁄2 teaspoonchili powder
1 cupgrated cheese (try monterey jack)
- Peel squash, cut in half, and remove seeds. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Prepare fresh chilies by roasting the peppers either by placing them over a stovetop gas flame or by roasting under an oven broiler, turning them frequently until all sides are charred black, about 7-10 minutes. Allow peppers to cool, about 15 minutes. Remove the stems and seeds and chop.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes. Add the squash, salt, and chili powder. Cover and cook, stir occasionally, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in chopped chilies and cook about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Last updated: 01/06/14