Sherman Extension has used this recipe several times with youth as part of Sherman School's SKORE afterschool cooking program. This is used during the class featuring pizza type recipes. As long as this is the first recipe used, while the kids are hungry and curious, they are willing to try it and usually announce that it is "okay". But they always perfer My Personal Pizza when make it later in the class. I think this recipe would be good for adults who are looking to eat more vegetables and/or reduce carbs, since zucchini is used instead of a flour-based crust or base.
Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash zucchini. Trim ends and cut each in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to gently scrape out soft, seedy center of zucchini.
- Place zucchini halves in a small baking dish. Spoon pasta sauce into zucchini halves. Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until zucchini can be pierced with a fork and cheese is bubbly and brown. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.