- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Add garlic, onion, pepper, and mushrooms and saute until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until bulgur is soft, 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Use kidney or black beans instead of pinto beans.
- Top with light sour cream.
Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.