Jack-O-Lanterns (Pumpkin Pancakes)
1⁄2 cupcanned pumpkin
1 3⁄4 cupsnon-fat or 1% milk
2 tablespoonsvegetable oil
2 tablespoonsbrown sugar
1 tablespoonbaking powder
1 teaspoonpumpkin pie spice
- Combine eggs, pumpkin, milk and oil in large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt to egg mixture. Stir gently.
- Lightly spray or oil a griddle or skillet and heat on medium. Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour batter on hot griddle.
- Put a face on the jack-o-lantern, using raisins for eyes and teeth. Drop raisins in batter while it cooks.
- Pancakes are ready to turn when tops are bubbly all over, a few bubbles have burst, and the edges begin to appear dry. Use a quick flip with a broad spatula to turn pancakes. Turn only once. Continue to bake until bottoms are brown and dry.
- Top with applesauce, fresh fruit or yogurt.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Get more whole grains by using 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour.
- No pumpkin pie spice? Use 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon cloves or nutmeg.
Last updated: 03/13/14