Jack-O-Lanterns (Pumpkin Pancakes)
- Combine eggs, pumpkin, milk and oil in large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt to egg mixture. Stir gently.
- Lightly spray a large skillet or griddle with non-stick cooking spray or lightly wipe with oil. Heat skillet or griddle over medium-high heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet). Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour batter on hot griddle.
- Put a face on the jack-o-lantern, using raisins for eyes and teeth. Drop raisins in batter while it cooks.
- Pancakes are ready to turn when tops are bubbly all over, and the edges begin to appear dry. Use a quick flip with a broad spatula to turn pancakes. Turn only once. Continue to bake until bottoms are brown and dry.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No pumpkin pie spice? Use 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon cloves or nutmeg.
- Try using 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour for more whole grains!
To see if skillet is hot enough, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If drops skitter around, heat is just right.
- Top with applesauce, fresh fruit or yogurt.