Jack-O-Lanterns (Pumpkin Pancakes)
1⁄2 cupcanned pumpkin
1 3⁄4 cupsnon-fat or 1% milk
2 tablespoonsvegetable oil
2 tablespoonsbrown sugar
1 tablespoonbaking powder
1 teaspoonpumpkin pie spice
- Combine eggs, pumpkin, milk, and oil in large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to egg mixture. Stir gently.
- Lightly coat a griddle or skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour batter on hot griddle. Cook until bubbles begin to burst, then cook until golden brown.
- Top with applesauce, fresh fruit or yogurt.
- Use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour.
- No pumpkin pie spice? Use 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger. Add a pinch of cloves or nutmeg.
- Put a face on the jack-o-lantern, using raisins for eyes and teeth (drop in to batter while it cooks).
Last updated: 04/01/13