Tasty Hamburger Skillet
1 poundlean ground beef
1⁄3 cupchopped onion
1⁄3 cupgreen pepper, chopped
1 cuplong grain white rice
1 teaspoongarlic powder
1 tablespoonchili powder
1 1⁄2 cupscanned diced tomatoes, with juice
3⁄4 cupcanned whole kernel corn, drained
3⁄4 cupcanned red kidney beans, drained
1⁄2 cupgrated cheddar cheese
- Cook ground beef, onion, and green pepper in large frying pan (medium heat) until hamburger is no longer pink. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add water, rice, garlic powder, chili powder, tomatoes with juice, corn, and beans.
- Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is soft.
- Remove from stove top, sprinkle with grated cheese, and serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Tip: Garnish this dish with a tablespoon of low-fat sour cream.
- Flavor boosters: green chilis, jalepeños, more garlic.
- Make extra! Leftovers make a great filling for tacos or burritos or as a topping for baked potatoes.
Last updated: 01/15/14