Tasty Hamburger Skillet
1 poundlean ground beef (15% fat)
1⁄3 cupchopped onion
1⁄3 cupgreen pepper, chopped
1 cuplong grain white rice
1 teaspoongarlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoonchili powder
1⁄4 teaspoonground pepper
1 can(15 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can(15 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained (or about 1 1/2 cups frozen)
1 can(15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1⁄2 cupgrated cheddar cheese
- Cook ground beef, onion, and green pepper in large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet) until hamburger is no longer pink. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add water, rice, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, tomatoes with juice, corn, and beans.
- Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is soft.
- Remove from stove top, sprinkle with grated cheese, and serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Tip: Garnish this dish with a tablespoon of low-fat sour cream.
- Flavor boosters: green chilis, jalepeños, more garlic, and other seasonings.
- Make extra! Leftovers make a great filling for tacos, burritos, filling for stuffed bell peppers, or as a topping for baked potatoes.
- Use whole grains! Use brown rice instead of white rice and increase cooking time to 45 minutes or until rice is cooked.
Last updated: 08/10/15