Tasty Hamburger Skillet
1 poundlean ground beef
1⁄3 cupchopped onion
1⁄3 cupgreen pepper, chopped
1 cuplong grain white rice
1 teaspoongarlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoonchili powder
1⁄4 teaspoonground pepper
1 1⁄2 cupscanned (15 oz) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 1⁄2 cupscanned (15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 1⁄2 cupscanned (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained
1⁄2 cupgrated cheddar cheese
- Cook ground beef, onion, and green pepper in large frying pan over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet) until hamburger is no longer pink. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add water, rice, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, tomatoes with juice, corn, and beans.
- Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is soft.
- Remove from stove top, sprinkle with grated cheese, and serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Tip: Garnish this dish with a tablespoon of low-fat sour cream.
- Flavor boosters: green chilis, jalepeños, more garlic, and other seasonings.
- Make extra! Leftovers make a great filling for tacos, burritos, filling for stuffed bell peppers, or as a topping for baked potatoes.
- Use whole grains! Use brown rice instead of white rice and increase cooking time to 45 minutes or until rice is cooked.
Last updated: 01/21/15