1 cup dry bulgur wheat
1 cup boiling water
½ chopped cucumber
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh mint (or cilantro)
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ cup lemon juice (or vinegar or half of each)
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place the bulgur in a large bowl and soak in the boiling water until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Drain any excess water.
- In a small bowl or a jar with a lid, mix or shake the dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
- Add the chopped vegetables, herbs and garlic to the prepared bulgur.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours and serve chilled.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Top with plain yogurt.
- Add other chopped veggies including red or green peppers, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), grated carrots, or summer squash.
- Freeze extra lemon juice to use later.
- Serve as a side dish or serve on lettuce leaves or make sandwiches with whole wheat or pocket (pita) bread.