Stuffed Peppers with Turkey & Vegetables
1 cupcooked rice (white or brown)
10 ouncesground turkey (half a 20 ounce package)
1 teaspoonItalian Seasoning (or basil and oregano leaves)
1 teaspoongarlic powder or 4 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄4 teaspooneach salt and pepper
1⁄2onion (about 1/2 cup)
1 cupsliced mushrooms
1chopped zucchini (about 1 cup)
1 can(14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with liquid
- Cook the rice or prepare instant rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the peppers in half from top to bottom. Remove the stem and seeds.
- In a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet), cook the turkey until no longer pink. Add seasonings during last few minutes.
- Add onion, mushrooms, and zucchini to the skillet. Add a small amount of oil, if needed. Saute until tender.
- Mix in the tomatoes and rice. Remove from heat.
- Fill the pepper halves with the skillet mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until peppers are tender when poked with a fork.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try chicken, beef or pork instead of turkey
- Add a sprinkle of cheese
- If there is extra filling, try it in a wrap for another meal
Last updated: 04/06/16