Southern Okra Bean Stew
1 can(14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with liquid
3 clovesgarlic, minced or 3/8 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoonItalian Seasoning
1 teaspoonchili powder
1 teaspoonhot sauce
1 cupquick brown rice, uncooked
1 can(14.5 ounce) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 cans(8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 package(16 ounce) frozen, sliced okra
- In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, beans, tomato sauce, and okra. Simmer uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add liquid as needed for desired consistency.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute 2 cups cooked rice for the quick rice and reduce water by 1 cup.
Last updated: 12/30/14