Cheesy Beef Pasta
1⁄2 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small zucchini, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 jar (24 to 26 ounces) tomato based pasta sauce
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
12 ounces rotini pasta (about 4 cups)
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, garlic and zucchini over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet) until meat is browned and broken into pieces. Drain any fat.
- Add the pasta sauce, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes, if desired. Bring to a simmer and cook on medium low (275 degrees in an electric skillet) for 15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to package directions.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce in the skillet. Stir in the cheese and cover until the cheese is melted.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute broccoli for zucchini. Cook fresh broccoli with the pasta in step 3 or add frozen broccoli in step 2.
20 minutesCooking time:
8 cupsNutrition Facts: View Label
Last updated: 10/22/19