1⁄2 cupoatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
1⁄2 cupcarrots, finely grated
1⁄4 cupnon-fat or 1% milk
1⁄2 teaspoonvanilla extract (optional)
1⁄2 cupall purpose flour
1 teaspoonbaking powder
1⁄2 teaspoonbaking soda
1⁄2 teaspooncinnamon (optional)
- Mix oatmeal and buttermilk and set aside to soak.
- Peel and grate the carrot with a fine grater.
- Add egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract, if desired, to the oatmeal mixture; beat well. Stir in the grated carrot.
- Measure dry ingredients and stir into the wet ingredients until batter is fairly smooth. If it seems too thick add a small amount of milk.
- Lightly spray a large skillet or griddle with non-stick cooking spray or lightly wipe with oil. Heat skillet or griddle over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle.
- Cook until pancakes are puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- To see if skillet is hot enough, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If drops skitter around, heat is just right.
- Top with applesauce, fresh fruit or yogurt.
Last updated: 10/18/16