Sherman Extension used this recipe as part of a class about grilled sandwiches for Sherman School's SKORE afterschool program fall 2019. The children, grades 1-5, were pretty suspicious of mixing mayo and mustard with the cheese (several refused to try it), and only a few of the 9 children were willing to add a tomato slice to the top. They mostly just wanted cheese melted on the muffin, haha. BUT...those who cooked and sampled the Tomato Melt said it was "really good!' and were surprised that they did like the mayo/mustard/cheese combination.
- For extra flavor try fresh avocado or basil leaves under the tomato or add 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder to the cheese mixture.
¼ cup shredded cheese (try cheddar, mozzarella or a blend)
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
½ teaspoon prepared mustard
2 English muffins, halved or 2 bread slices (try whole-wheat)
1 tomato, cut into 4 slices or diced
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese, mayonnaise and mustard.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over English muffin halves or bread slices.
- Cook using one of the methods below.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Oven or toaster oven method:
- Broil or toast until cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place tomatoes on each sandwich.
- Serve 'as-is' or broil to heat the tomato, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches bread side down.
- Cover and heat until cheese melts, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Top with tomatoes before or after heating.