I never realized homemade refried beans could be so easy! I like mine spicy, so I use cumin and chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. (Rinse canned beans to reduce sodium.)
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft.
- Mash beans and cumin into onion mixture in skillet. Use a potato masher or back of a spoon.
- Add reserved liquid or water (1 Tablespoon or more) until desired consistency is reached.
- Cook and stir bean mixture on medium heat until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Great recipe! And all from the pantry. We made ours the night before for quesidillas the next night. We warmed them up in the microwave and then added a bit of water to smooth them out. YUMMY!