- Drain beans and reserve liquid. (Rinse canned beans to reduce sodium.)
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft.
- Mash beans and cumin into onion mixture in skillet. Use a potato masher or back of a spoon.
- Add reserved liquid or water (1 Tablespoon or more) until desired consistency is reached.
- Cook and stir bean mixture on medium heat until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.