1 pound carrots, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch thick slices
½ teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar, divided
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
½ cup dried cranberries
2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add carrots, salt, 1 Tablespoon sugar and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are almost tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover and turn the heat to high. Stir a few times until the liquid is reduced to about 2 Tablespoons, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in margarine or butter and remaining sugar. Add cranberries and stir often until the carrots are tender and glaze is golden, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
This was an interesting vegetable dish. We liked the slight sweet-tart flavor that the cranberries added and the savory touch that the butter provided. I think I will make this again with half the butter. I liked this as a different way to enjoy cooked carrots. Thanks!