1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
½ cup uncooked white or brown rice
⅔ cup nonfat or 1% milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup chopped onion (1⁄2 medium onion)
½ cup shredded carrot
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 can (10.5 ounces) condensed soup (try tomato, cream of mushroom or other flavors)
¾ cup nonfat or 1% milk
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Combine beef, rice, milk, egg, onion, carrot, salt and pepper. Use a spoon to form 24 meatballs and place in baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine soup and milk to make the sauce. Mix well. Pour sauce over meatballs.
- Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try using uncooked quick cooking or old fashioned rolled oats instead of rice!
My family raved about these! I didn't have onions or carrots on hand so I used frozen peas. And I didn't have condensed soup so I used the following in place of it: 8 oz can tomato sauce + 1T cornstarch + 1T sugar + 1/2 t salt.
Great recipe; I make these meatballs often for my family. If you prefer whole grains like I do, I recommend using instant brown rice in this recipe. The regular brown rice remains crunchy after one hour and if you bake it longer, it dries out the meatballs. Instead of condensed soup, I simply spoon a jar of pasta sauce over the top of the meatballs before baking.