1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup chili sauce (about 9 ounces)
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet). Add the oil and chicken and cook until it is not pink inside after cutting.
- Reduce heat to medium (300 degrees F in an electric skillet).
- Add the tomatoes with juice and the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover skillet and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve over cooked rice or pasta. Use brown rice or whole-wheat pasta to include whole grains.
- No chili sauce? Make your own sauce by mixing these ingredients:
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
Good, I especially liked the tip on how to make your own chili sauce.