This a great recipe and an excellent way to sneak vegetables for our kids to eat! I made this recipe as it called for with my summer students. I did however, first brown my meat, drained the fat and than added the vegetables to saute, I waited to add the mushrooms till the last 10 minutes of cooking time since mushrooms cook fast. I modified the recipe by adding 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon paprika to enhance more flavor. I topped it off with low fat chedder cheese on a whole wheat English muffin. It was delicious! I plan to make this recipe for my family on a regular basis!
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped or shredded
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat turkey, chicken or beef)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed
1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms or ½ pound chopped fresh mushrooms
¼ cup barbecue sauce
6 whole wheat buns, split in half to make 12
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Sauté onions, carrots, green bell pepper and ground meat in a 2 to 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Toast buns if desired. Spoon sauce over bun halves. Serve open-faced.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.