Barley Summer Salad
1 cupdry barley
1⁄4 cupdried cranberries
1 cupfresh blueberries
1 cupsweet snap peas
2 cupsapples or another fresh fruit or veggie, chopped
1⁄2 cupred bell pepper, chopped
1⁄2 cupgreen onions, sliced thin
3 tablespoonsvegetable oil
1⁄4 cuplemon or lime juice
- Place barley and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn to low. Cook covered for 45 minutes.
- Rinse cooked barley briefly in cold water. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients. Toss well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute different fruits and vegetables in season.
- Add nuts or seeds for added protein.
Last updated: 12/18/13