This was a big hit! To make it festive for the 4th of July I used an extra cup of blueberries and took out the snappeas. I also used jicama instead of apple. That way the dish turns out red, white, and blue! I would even diced up a whole red pepper and use the whole thing, instead of just 1/2 cup.
- Substitute different fruits and vegetables in season.
- Add nuts or seeds for added protein.
- Pearl barley is high in fiber but it is not a whole grain. If using whole grain barley (also called hulled barley), add 20 to 30 minutes to the cooking time.
- If you have barley that is already cooked, measure about 3 1/2 cups into a large bowl and begin at step 4.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place barley and water in a 2 or 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and cook until barley is tender, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Rinse cooked barley briefly in cold water. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients. Toss well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.