- 8 cups water
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add farro and salt, if desired, and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil, uncovered, until grains have the texture you like, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Drain off extra cooking water and serve or use as planned.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For more flavor, cook with broth instead of water.
- Use farro in any recipe that calls for brown rice or quinoa. Add to soups, grain bowls, or use instead of pasta in pasta salads.
- For less cooking time, cover farro with water and soak in the refrigerator for 8 or more hours. Add soaked farro to 3 cups boiling water or broth, reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes. Drain extra water and serve.