Peanutty African Stew
1 cupinstant brown rice
2 cupschicken broth, reduced sodium
1 teaspoondehydrated minced onion
1⁄2 teaspoongarlic powder
1⁄2 teaspoonground ginger
1⁄8 teaspoonred pepper (optional)
2 cupsmedium diced peeled sweet potato or yam
1 can(14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with liquid
1⁄2 cupcreamy peanut butter, reduced-fat
1 1⁄4 cupsnon-fat or 1% milk
3 cups(3 ounces) baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
1⁄4 cupchopped dry roasted peanuts
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a soup pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and milk. Return to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Ladle stew into bowls and top with peanuts and green onion, if desired.
- Substitute a 10 ounce package of frozen spinach for the fresh spinach.
- Flavor boosters: chopped cilantro, red and green peppers, raisins.
- To avoid peanuts or peanut butter, try sunflower seeds or sunflower seed butter.
Last updated: 04/03/13