Lentil Soup with Lime Juice
1 tablespoonvegetable oil
1 pounddried lentils, washed and picked over
8 cupscold water
1⁄2 teaspooneach black pepper and ground cumin
1 teaspoonmint flakes or dried thyme or oregano, crumbled
1 can(4 ounces) mild green chilies, drained and chopped
1⁄3 cupfresh lime juice or to taste (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Add lentils, water, salt, pepper, cumin, chosen seasonings, and bay leaves, then bring to a boil over moderate heat. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Add the green chilies, red pepper, and carrots; simmer 15 more minutes, or until the lentils are very soft.
- Before serving, remove and discard the bay leaves and stir in the lime juice; adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try topping soup with a dollop of sour cream and chopped tomatoes.
- This soup is also good if a potato, another carrot, and celery are added.
- Eliminate the peppers, chilies, and cumin if you do not want the Mexican flavors.
Last updated: 03/24/15