Lentil Soup with Lime Juice
1 tablespoonvegetable oil
1 pounddried lentils, washed and picked over
8 cupscold water
1⁄2 teaspooneach black pepper and ground cumin
1 teaspoondried thyme or oregano
1 can(4 ounces) mild green chilies, drained and chopped
1red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1⁄3 cupfresh lime juice or to taste (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in vegetable oil over medium high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Add lentils, water, salt, pepper, cumin, thyme or oregano and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium low (250 degrees in an electric skillet). Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the green chilies, red bell pepper and carrots. Simmer 15 more minutes or until the lentils are very soft.
- Before serving, remove and discard the bay leaves and stir in the lime juice. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try topping soup with a dollop of sour cream and chopped tomatoes.
- This soup is also good if a potato, another carrot, and celery are added.
- Eliminate the chilies and cumin if you do not want the Mexican flavors.
- Freeze extra lime juice to use later.
Last updated: 08/14/15