Indian Vegetable and Rice Skillet Meal
2 teaspoonsvegetable oil
1 teaspoonginger, fresh or 1/2 teaspoon ground
1⁄2 teaspoonground cumin
2 cupsmixed vegetables, chopped (try cauliflower, peppers, carrots or peas)
1 cupwhite rice, uncooked
1⁄2 teaspoonsalt (optional)
2 1⁄2 cupswater
1 can(15.5 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Add onion, ginger, turmeric, and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For a flavor boost, cook ½ cup raisins or diced apples with the vegetables.
- Try using brown rice instead of white, and increase the simmering time to 45 minutes.
Last updated: 04/05/16