Indian Vegetable and Rice Skillet Meal
2 teaspoonsvegetable oil
1 teaspoonginger, fresh or half as much ground
1⁄2 teaspooncumin powder
2 cupsmixed vegetables, chopped (cauliflower, peppers, carrots, or peas)
1 cupwhite rice, uncooked
2 1⁄2 cupswater
1 cankidney beans, drained (15.5 ounces)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, ginger, turmeric, and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For a flavor boost, cook ½ cup raisins or diced apples with the vegetables.
- Try using brown rice instead of white, and increase the simmering time to 45 minutes.
Last updated: 09/20/13