Brazilian Black Beans and Sausage
2 teaspoonsvegetable oil
8 ounceslow-fat polish kielbasa sausage, cut into small pieces
1 clovegarlic, minced, or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoonground cumin
1 cupuncooked rice
1 can(15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet); sauté sausage and onion until onion is clear.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add mushrooms or green bell peppers for variety.
- If you like spicy food, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Use brown rice to add fiber; increase the simmering time to 40 minutes.
Last updated: 01/18/15