Fabulous Fig Bars
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Combine figs, walnuts, sugar, orange juice and hot water in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together margarine or butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add egg and mix until smooth.
- Mix flour and baking soda. Stir into egg mixture. Blend in oats to make soft dough.
- Reserve 1 cup of dough for topping. With floured fingertips, press the remaining dough into a thin layer on the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread fig mixture evenly over the dough. Crumble reserved dough over top, allowing fig mixture to show.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in baking pan. Cut into 24 bars (about 2½ x 2 inches).
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No dried figs? Use 3 cups chopped fresh figs. Omit the hot water and orange juice, but add 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest (grate the outer colored part of the peel).