Black Bean Soup
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the beans, potatoes and water. Bring to a boil; then reduce to medium-low heat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, cumin, lime juice and hot pepper sauce, if desired. Stir and cook for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- Try topping soup with non-fat sour cream, chopped cilantro and baked tortilla chips.
- Freeze extra lime juice to use later.