Skillet Mac and Cheese
- In a 10-inch skillet or saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and butter or margarine. Stir a few times to prevent sticking.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes (do not drain the water).
- Meanwhile, mix flour, salt and dry mustard in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of milk and stir until smooth. Add remaining milk. Set aside.
- Take the lid off the skillet and cook macaroni until most of the water is gone.
- Stir and add milk mixture and cheese. Mix well. Cook and stir until all the cheese melts and the sauce is bubbly and thick.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add your favorite fresh or frozen vegetables in step 2. Try broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, spinach, tomatoes or zucchini.
- Add your favorite seasonings in step 4. Try oregano, garlic powder, chili powder or others.
- Use a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Try whole wheat macaroni or pasta in different shapes.