Indian Lentils and Pasta
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet). Add onion and garlic and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in water, diced tomatoes with juice, lentils, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low (250 degrees in an electric skillet). Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve topped with light sour cream or plain non-fat yogurt.