Fiesta Barley Salad
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place barley and water in a 2 to 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer until barley is tender, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Rinse cooked barley in cold water for a short time. Drain and put into a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try substituting different fruits and vegetables.
- Pearl barley is high in fiber but is not a whole grain. If using whole grain barley (also called hulled barley), add 20 to 30 minutes to the cooking time.
- If you have barley that is already cooked, measure about 3 1/2 cups into a bowl and continue with step 3.