- Wash kale and pat dry. Remove rib from the middle of each leaf. Chop or tear leaves into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Drain and chop fruit if pieces are large. Add to kale.
- In a small bowl, combine fruit juice, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and sunflower seeds, if desired. Mix well.
- Add dressing to the kale and fruit and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- To soften the kale and improve the flavor, before adding the fruit in step 1, rub the torn leaves together until the kale becomes dark green and fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes, OR prepare the salad a day ahead and refrigerate.