Skip to main content
- 1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium broth (any type)
- 1 cup low-fat milk (see Notes)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and salt. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Stir in flour.
- Add broth and stir until the mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Stir in the milk and pepper.
- For a smooth soup, puree in batches in a blender, using the manufacturer's directions for pureeing hot liquids.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Instead of fluid milk, mix 1/3 cup dry milk with enough water to make 1 cup.
- Top with a spoonful of plain yogurt and chopped parsley, dill or celery leaves.
- Try using as the sauce for Food Hero Mix and Match Skillet Meal.