- 1 cup amaranth
- 2 to 3 cups water (see Notes)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add amaranth.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until it reaches the texture you like when fluffed with a fork or stirred with a spoon.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Use less water and cooking time for grains that will be more separate. Use more water and cooking time for a creamy cereal.
- For a hearty breakfast cereal, top with any type of milk, fruit, nuts or seeds.
- For savory amaranth, add herbs such as rosemary or thyme, nuts or seeds and serve with sautéed vegetables.
- Try adding to other grains: cook 1/4 cup amaranth with 3/4 cup whole grain such as oats or rice. Follow cooking directions for other grain.
- You can pop amaranth! Heat a dry skillet or saucepan over medium high until it is hot. Add 1 or 2 Tablespoons of amaranth seeds and shake or stir until the seeds pop but do not burn. Sprinkle on any dish for an added crunch and whole-grain goodness.