Skip to main content
- 1 cup quinoa (if not pre-rinsed, rinse well using a fine-mesh strainer)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa and salt, if desired, and return the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let stand until water is absorbed and quinoa has the texture you like, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For more flavor, cook with broth or milk instead of water.
- For a roasted flavor, toast the grains in the saucepan. Stir the grains around at medium heat for a few minutes before adding liquid.
- Topping ideas: fresh, frozen or dried fruit; milk or yogurt; chopped nuts or seeds; cinnamon or other spices. Savory toppings include vegetables and cheese.
- Add to soups, grain bowls or grain salads.
- No strainer? Use a clean coffee filter.