Banana Oatmeal Bread
- 1 cups oats (quick cooking or old fashioned rolled)
- 1/4 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8- or 9-inch bread pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, milk, eggs, oil, sugar and mashed banana. Let this mixture stand for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the wet oat mixture to the dry flour mixture and stir gently to combine. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the bread pan and spread evenly.
- Bake a 9-inch loaf for 45 minutes or an 8-inch loaf for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. If you have a food thermometer, the center of the loaf will be at least 190 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the pan and let cool completely on a rack. Slice to serve.
- Wrap to store for several days or freeze for up to a month.