Print Recipe Color
Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chicken mixture: In a large skillet, add oil and heat over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet). Add onion, carrot and celery; cook until soft.
- Add a small amount of unheated broth to the flour and stir until smooth. Slowly mix in remaining broth and add to skillet. Stir over medium heat as the mixture thickens.
- Add the chicken, peas, salt and pepper. Heat on low while making dumplings.
- Dumplings: MIx the flour, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg to the milk and beat until well blended. Stir into the flour until well combined.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a lightly greased casserole dish. Drop dumpling dough by spoonfuls onto chicken mixture (makes about 8 dumplings).
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until the dumplings are golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.