Print Recipe Color
Fruity French Toast Casserole
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Lightly oil an 8x8-inch baking dish or 2-quart casserole. Add bread cubes and fruit.
- In a medium bowl, blend eggs, milk, vanilla and sugar. Pour over bread and fruit. Stir gently to wet all bread with egg mixture. Wash hands after handling raw eggs.
- Cover and refrigerate until all liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes or overnight.
- Just before baking, remove casserole from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the softened margarine, sugar, and flour with a fork until crumbly.
- Uncover the casserole and sprinkle topping over fruit. Bake until completely set and starting to brown, about 35 to 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F on a food thermometer. .A longer baking time is needed when the dish is chilled overnight. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
This is a great recipe for using up extra bread.
- For the fruit, try peaches, pears, berries or diced apples.
- Lightly sprinkle with cinnamon or other spices such as nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice or cardamom at the end of step 2.
- Try topping with a spoonful of yogurt when serving.