Print Recipe Color
Cheesy Polenta Pie
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Brown meat and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet). Drain fat (see Notes).
- Add beans, tomatoes, corn, 1 Tablespoon chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low (250 degrees F in an electric skillet), cover and heat thoroughly.
- As chili heats, mix cornmeal, salt, sugar and 1 teaspoon chili powder with water in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add cheddar and mix well.
- Spread cornmeal mixture over chili mixture.
- Cover and cook over low heat, with lid slightly ajar, until topping is set, about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute 1-2 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix for the last 6 ingredients in the filling.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- One large ear of corn makes about 1 cup of cut corn.
- Pour fat from cooked meat into a metal container. Let it cool, then dispose of it into a garbage can.