Print Recipe Color
Wheat Berry Salad
- Place dry wheat berries in a large saucepan and add water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and continue to simmer for 1 hour, or until the wheat berries are tender but still chewy. Drain the cooked wheat berries and rinse with cold water. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the carrots, celery, bell pepper, onions and parsley to the wheat berries in the mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the rice vinegar, water, vegetable oil, garlic powder and salt. Pour dressing over the salad and mix until salad is well coated.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Wheat berries are whole kernels of wheat. There are many different kinds of wheat that are sold in grocery stores. Try looking for soft white or hard red wheat berries. Farro, spelt, Kamut®, and freekeh are all kinds of whole wheat kernels. Whole grain barley is also an excellent choice in this recipe.
- To use other grains, substitute 2 cups cooked grain for the wheat berries and skip step 1. Follow package directions for the cooking time and amount of liquid needed for each grain.