Print Recipe Color
1 cup bulgur
2 cups water
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a saucepan, combine bulgur and water; bring to a boil. Cover the pan, reduce heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain off excess liquid, fluff with a fork and serve as desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Enjoy cooked bulgur as a side like rice or in a whole grain salad, grain bowl or baked good.
- You can also prepare bulgur by putting it in a bowl and covering it with boiling water. Let stand for 10 to 30 minutes, then drain off extra liquid. Less time is needed for fine-grain bulgur and more time is needed for course-grain bulgur.
- For best quality, use refrigerated cooked bulgur within 3 days or freeze in air-tight packaging for up to 2 months.
- Bulgur comes from cracked whole-grain kernels of wheat that are partly cooked and then dried before packaging.
- Other spellings for bulgur are bulgar and bulghur.