|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cooking time: 1 1⁄2 hours||Total time: 1 7⁄12 hours|
1 pound lean ground turkey (15% fat)
2⁄3 cup chopped onion (2/3 medium onion)
1⁄2 cup green pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 small pepper)
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups)
1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups)
1 can solid-pack pumpkin (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups)
1 can crushed tomatoes (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups)
1 can chicken broth, low sodium (15 ounce or 1 3/4 cups) (see notes)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 package taco seasoning mix (1.25 ounces)
- Pour oil into a 4 quart (or larger) saucepan.
- Add ground turkey, onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Cook and stir, breaking meat apart until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the beans, pumpkin, tomatoes, broth, water, brown sugar and taco seasoning.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Use leftover turkey cut in bite sized piece instead of ground turkey. Saute the vegetables then add the turkey with the other ingredients.
- No Taco Seasoning? Try 1 Tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 teaspoon oregano. Add some red pepper flakes if you like it spicier.
- whole wheat roll
- glass of low fat milk
Tab 2 Content (Recipe Categories):