|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cooking time: 45 minutes||Total time: 55 minutes|
1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
1 small bell or jalapeño pepper, chopped
2 cups chopped tomato, fresh or canned, with juice
1 Tablespoon chili powder (or more to taste)
1 Tablespoon dried oregano leaves
3⁄4 cup (3 ounces) shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- Brown meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
- Add onion and peppers and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add rice, tomato, 2 cups water, and spices. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try brown rice and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- If using instant rice, reduce water to 1 cup.
- Try ground turkey in place of beef.
- sliced fruit
- a glass of low-fat milk
Tab 2 Content (Recipe Categories):