This is fun to make with kids who are learning about plant parts. They have even more fun eating it after choosing and identifying the ingredients.
Plant Part Salad
- 6 cups leaves, such as lettuce, spinach, chard
- 1 cup roots, such as beets, carrots, radishes
- 2 cups flowers, such as broccoli, cauliflower
- 1 cup stems, such as celery, broccoli stems, chard stems
- 2 cups fruit, such as apple, tomato, cucumber
- 1/4 cup seeds, such as sunflower seeds, peas, beans
- 2 Tablespoons fruit juice or vinegar, such as lemon, orange juice or apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano or basil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse tender fruits and vegetables under running water. Scrub firm vegetables with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Lay on towels and pat dry.
- Tear leaves into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Cut or grate roots, stems, flowers and fruit into bite-size pieces and add to the bowl. Sprinkle seeds over the top.
- In a small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid, mix or shake together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.