This is a nice and simple recipe for meatballs. I like adding oats for some whole grain and veggies that add moisture and flavor. I've made with ground beef and ground turkey and a mixture...all were good. One meal we served the meatballs with Veggie Stew and Stovetop Polenta. Yum!
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned or quick-cooking)
- 1/4 cup skim or 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pound lean ground meat (any type, 15% fat or less)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients except ground meat.
- Add the ground meat and mix in evenly.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into 21 (about 2-inch) meatballs. Arrange the meatballs on the baking sheet with space between each one. Bake in 2 batches or on 2 baking sheets if needed. Wash hands with soap and water after touching raw meat and eggs.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through (165 degrees F with a food thermometer) and the outsides are browned.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.